Engaging and Managing Volunteers
For tools and best practices to help you manage volunteers effectively, see below.
Adult / General
- Volunteering in America: Resources for Retention
This website offers effective volunteer management and community engagement practices.
- Recruiting Mentors: A Guide to Finding Volunteers to Work with Youth
This book includes sections on designing and implementing recruitment plans, as well as recruiting college students and older adults to be mentors.
- Volunteer Leveraging Online Courses
Step-by-step online courses on project planning, working with diverse volunteers, and moving volunteers from service to civic engagement
- Washington Youth Voice Handbook
Housed on the National Service-learning Clearinghouse web site, this Handbook is one of many publications that helps organizations and individuals give youth an authentic voice in all phases of program and project planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Recruit for Diversity
www.encorps.nationalserviceresources.org/recruitment_and_placement/recruit_for_diversity.php These tips for recruiting diverse AmeriCorps members can be applied to any volunteer program.
- Ask the Expert: Paula Sotnik
This article includes questions and answers on including volunteers with disabilities, as well as links to other resources for recruiting and accommodating them.
- Ask the Expert: Andrea Taylor
This article includes questions and answers on working with baby boomer volunteers, as well as links to other resources for recruiting and accommodating them.
Proven techniques and real-life examples of how other projects work effectively with volunteers
- Keeping volunteers motivated by maintaining positive communication
- Allaying typical concerns of first-time volunteers
- Resolving differences of opinion
- Retaining members through conflict resolution
- Resolving team conflict
- Resolving conflict between volunteers
- Top Ten Ways to Recruit and Engage Youth Volunteers
This article explains how to recruit youth volunteers by putting yourself in their shoes.
- Change the World with a Youth Media Agency
This article explains how involving youth in a media agency fills the community's need for social marketing while providing teenagers with a positive experience that builds career and personal skills.
- Volunteer Connections: New Strategies for Involving Youth
This manual offers practical suggestions for engaging youth in an organization for the benefit of the
volunteer, the organization, and the community. Covers recruitment, orientation and training, supervision and evaluation, screening, recognition, and more.