Sign Up for
Receive MLK updates right to your inbox!Subscribe
Follow us on twitter @MLKDay
Action Update: Mobilizing Volunteers for MLK Day
“An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.” Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Volunteers are at the heart of every community service effort. When recruiting volunteers for the MLK Day of Service, ensure that you are taking the steps necessary to keep those volunteers engaged well beyond the Day of Service.
Volunteer Recruitment Basics
Whether you have a volunteer base to draw from or are building your team from scratch, it’s always helpful to implement both tried and true ideas along with a few new ones:
- Ask colleagues and friends
- Use social media
- Have information tables at community events
- Make presentations to community groups
- Put an article/ press release in local or community newspapers
- Host a presentation on your local cable television channel
- Add a volunteer sign up page on your website. Make sure you highlight upcoming events.
- Register your project at MLKDay.gov
Basic Volunteer Recruitment Tips and the ABC’s of Volunteer Recruitment will provide some additional tips for successfully recruiting volunteers.
Inclusive Volunteer Recruitment
Engaging a broad cross-section of your community in your MLK Day of Service project is a great way to increase your volunteer pool:
- Recruiting Diverse Volunteers – A diverse team of volunteers may mean you have people of different genders, races, languages and/or socioeconomic groups. Having a diverse team of volunteers will help ensure that you have an array of skills and experiences to draw from.
- Choosing Appropriate Outreach Techniques for Different Generations – Some recruitment strategies work better for different age groups. Take a look at these suggestions to target youth, college students, boomers, etc.
- Identify Barriers to Volunteering – Take a moment to analyze how your recruitment efforts might be limiting your volunteer base and take steps to make it as inclusive as possible.
For a replay of the webinar on Recruiting Volunteer on MLKDay.gov.